Saturday, August 11, 2007

Verse of the Day - Rejoice in God's Word

Psalm 119

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
         By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
         Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
         That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O LORD!
         Teach me Your statutes.
13 With my lips I have declared
         All the judgments of Your mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
         As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
         And contemplate Your ways.
16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
         I will not forget Your word.

To understand verse 14 - we need to look at the context of the verses surrounding it.  Psalm 19 is an acrostic poem - each section is a letter of Hebrew.  The above passage is one whole section.

14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
         As much as in all riches.

  • We are to rejoice in whose testimonies???  God's!!!
  • What are these testimonies???  His Word (the Bible), His Commandments, His Statutes, His Judgements, His Precepts, His Ways,   - all of these are found in the Bible!!!
  • How are we supposed to react???  We are rejoicing - glad - holding God's Word precious - as in all riches - like the very precious Word of God is - very important in our lives!!!

Many people know verse 11

11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
         That I might not sin against You.

If we regard God's Word as precious - then we should know it - to the extent that it is hidden in our hearts.  We memorize it, we study it to the point that it becomes a part of us!!!  This is a way that we can Rejoice in God's Word beyond all earthly treasures!!!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

How funny that you point out verse 11...as that is one of my favorites...lol...I guess most of us stop there and don't read on...