Sunday, July 8, 2007

God Is Good!!!

Philippians 2:14-18

14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.

Today in Sunday School we studied this passage - it was such an encouragement to me. Here are some highlights.

Vs 14

  • "Complaining" includes whispering and quarreling.
  • "Disputing" - the Greek work used here means thought, opinion, motive.

Our attitude means much to God. Are we people who complain or dispute, or are we people who are thankful to God for all He has done and for all He has give us....

Vs 15

Matthew 5:14-16

14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

We ought to stick out like sore thumbs, in terms of our holiness, in a society that has rejected God. If we are not any different than the rest of the world, then we are not living the way which we should be living.

Vs 16ff

1 Corinthians 9:23-27

23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

How are we used by God? Are you giving your all in service to Him? Is your attitude right? Are you living right before Him?

My Thoughts:

So how was this encouraging to me? Well a few months ago, I felt led to start designing faith-based kits. I have now created 4 kits!!! I am really enjoying designing for the Lord!!! Well recently, I found out that I am not selling very many of these kits. But I have gotten a lot of positive feedback about them!!! Well someone suggested that to increase sells, I could mix regular kits among them. Not that this was necessarily a wrong recommendation, but I realized that it would not be focusing on my goal (see 1 Cor 9:23-27 above). My goal in my faith-based kits is to point people to Jesus Christ - to encourage them to scrap their faith, to give them the means to do this!!! So I am pressing on!!!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Amen! That was a great Bible study! I enjoyed reading it. How hard is it to keep from complaining, huh? On my blog I wrote about having to always push down the "Old Adam"....yeah...complaining is one of those "Old Adam's"! LOL...I should update and add that.

You are so right...stay focused on the goal that is ahead to win the prize! That's a good thing to focus on.

Faith said...

This is really funny Lori, I've just had that leading before too, to create more faith-based stuff. I've just been a tad slow about it though. I'm glad to see you going at it. Keep it up, even if they don't sell, the Lord will bless you in other ways. Besides, you just might get surprised one day. So keep on pressing on!

God bless you.